Professional Ecotherapy Certification Program- Spring 2024
April 20, 2024 @ 9:00 am - August 20, 2024 @ 5:00 pm$4397
**Redesigned to Accommodate Out of Town Students**
“The Time Has Come for Psychology to Embrace Nature and Humans as a Part of Nature”
Learn from ecotherapy pioneer David Talamo, MFT how to integrate the healing magic of Nature into your clinical practice. Whether you wish to work indoors or out on the land, this training will give you the knowledge, skills and experience you need to safely and effectively weave Nature into your therapeutic approach.
Using mindfulness, somatics, expressive arts and ceremony, this unique 5-month long certificate program combines on-the-land daylongs and evening meetings with writing and study to give you a foundation in the field of ecotherapy and support you in being ready to clinically design your own ecotherapeutic treatment plans. Each student will receive two individual ecotherapy sessions with Dave and staff (1.5 hrs per session) and have two individual consultations with Dave to refine their own ecotherapy approach and interventions (1 hr per consultation).
Therapists, Interns, Social Workers, Psychologists, Coaches and other practicing mental health professionals eager to bring Nature to their clients and their clients to Nature.
What & When:
By April 19, 2024 you’ll complete our 8-hour self-paced online video class “Therapy Outside the Box: All the Skills and Tools You Need to Confidently Begin Outdoor Ecotherapy”. In this intro mini-course you’ll learn about relevant law & ethics, risk management and liability concerns and how to handle confidentiality, client assessment and other issues you must address to ready yourself and your clients for outdoor therapeutic work. You’ll have unlimited access to the course content and be able to use it for review whenever you need it.
April 20-26, 2024, 9am- 5pm each day. Our in-person instruction formally begins with 7 days of in-person experiential learning in Nature. We’ll use many modes of instruction including live demos, developing new skills, supported practice, discussion, didactic learning and more. Also known as “the Immersion” phase of the program, this is where we form our learning community. Many students go on to nurture the relationships formed in their program cohort for years to come, helping one another manifest the Nature-allied work they’ve been dreaming of for years.
Tuesday evenings, 5:30-8:30pm (PDT): 5/7, 5/21, 6/4, 6/18, 7/9, 7/23, 8/6 and 8/20. After the Immersion we continue with on 8 live online video calls.
Outdoors on unceded Coast Miwok lands† in west Sonoma & Marin Counties, CA. The beautiful Open Sky Retreat Space in the Bloomfield area of w. Sonoma Co. will be our primary course base. On some days we’ll journey to other local wild lands to explore the possibilities in building a therapeutic alliance with a variety of settings and ecosystems. After the in-person Immersion (4/20-26/2024), we’ll meet biweekly for the 8 live video call classes.
†- Read our more complete Coast Miwok Land Acknowledgment here–†
$4,397. Deposit $500 (balance due 2 months before the start of program, i.e., Feb. 20, 2024). Limited to 12 participants. Additional fee for lodging, if needed. Some Payment plans and BIPOC scholarships available. (Contact us for more details.)
Lodging & Camping (Optional):
Students may commute each day to the course, stay off-site or reserve one of the limited number of rooms or camping spots available on-site. Single occupancy rooms are available (from the tiny casita ($490) to a private bed/bath ($850)). Camping is also available for the week. Go to our Open Sky Lodging & Camping webpage for more lodging and camping details. Showers and full kitchens are available to all students staying on-site. Lodging is available beginning on 4/19/24, the evening before the in-person Immersion, and is also available on the night of the last day of the course, 4/26/24.
Please consult with us before making your travel plans. Once enrolled in the course, we’ll contact you about your unique travel logistics. Class begins at 9am on Sat., 4/20/24 and ends at 5pm on 4/26/24. Airport shuttles to the course site will be available on 4/19 and 4/26 or 4/27, depending upon group need.
**A NOTE TO OUT OF TOWN STUDENTS- PLAN TO ARRIVE 4/19 and/or DEPART ON 4/27 **
We strongly suggest that you Contact Us BEFORE making travel plans AND that you plan to arrive in the SF Bay Area in the morning of the day before instruction begins and depart in the afternoon on the day after class ends.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Enroll Now – Early Bird Discount: Enroll by November 15 and receive a $300 discount.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
To Register Please Complete These Three Steps:
1. Go To www.wildernessreflections.com/registration-form and complete the form.
2. Make Payment either pay a $500 non-refundable deposit or full fee now via PayPal (after registering in step 1) or by sending a check to us via USPS to Wilderness Reflections, P.O. Box 311, Fairfax, CA 94978.
3. Send us a 1-page letter of intent stating your reasons for enrolling in the apprenticeship program (via email or by USPS to Wilderness Reflections, P.O. Box 311, Fairfax, CA 94978).
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Continuing Education credits: 75 CE credits are available for this program
Information on Continuing Education Credit for Health Professionals
• CE credits for psychologists are provided by the Spiritual Competency Academy (SCA) which is co-sponsoring this program. The Spiritual Competency Academy is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Spiritual Competency Academy maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
• The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFT license renewal for programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
• LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFTs, and other mental health professionals from states other than California need to check with their state licensing board as to whether or not they accept programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
• SCA is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN Provider CEP16887) for licensed nurses in California. RNs must retain their certificate of attendance for 4 years after the course concludes.
•For questions about receiving your Certificate of Attendance, contact us.
For questions about CE, contact Spiritual Competency Academy at email@example.com.
Licensure hours- ACSWs, AMFTs and other interns may count hours towards licensure.